(Long-term Effects of COVID-19)
Some people who have overcome COVID-19 still have a long way to go to be fully free of all the consequences of the virus.
The most serious long-lasting after-effects of COVID include:
- Impaired lung function and chest abnormalities, which may even lead to acute pulmonary embolism (blockage of a lung artery).
- Tiredness, fatigue, dyspnoea (laboured breathing). Some cases can lead to ischaemic strokes.
- Neurological damage: severe headaches, memory loss, etc.
- Skin problems: necrosis, hair loss, hives, fungal infections.
- Thromboembolism (blood clots affecting veins and arteries).
- Lack of muscle mass.
- Depression, anxiety and sleep problems.
- Loss of sense of smell and taste (these are the mildest symptoms).