- Warms up the muscles (Pre-competition Massage).
- Relief and recovery in a brief period of time, alleviating pain (Mid-competition Massage).
- Makes joints more flexible.
- Oxygenates the muscles.
- Produces a relaxing or stimulating effect, as desired.
- Elasticises the muscles before competition.
- Provides psychological and muscular relaxation, calms anxiety and fosters a sensation of well-being.
- Prevents various injuries.
- Allows emotional release.
This massage should be avoided in cases of:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Serious vascular injuries (deep vein thrombosis)
- Irritated skin (e.g. allergies)
- Serious coronary problems
- Undergoing cancer treatments